The most startling feature of the 1848 discovery of the hundreds of sculptural fragments concealed behind walls in the church was their colour. There was a resurgence of interest in archaeology at this time and antiquarian George Weare Braikenridge (1775-1856) commissioned artist William Walter Wheatley to depict the bright paintwork of the discovery for his… Continue reading Colour and pigment
With the cataloguing work in its final stages, we are looking forward to being able to share more of the stories which have emerged from this summer’s investigation with visitors to the church. To celebrate, we’ll be participating in the national Heritage Open Days for the 4th year running – this time with much more to… Continue reading Heritage Open Days 8th-11th September – a multisensory celebration!
When the Victorian renovators uncovered the reredos and sculptures behind the plaster in 1848, there was much excitement about these artefacts, which according to Diocesan Architect Benjamin Ferrey, ‘were of great beauty, and the colouring and gilding were as fresh and bright as though only recently executed’ (Ferry, 1851). Simultaneously, however, there was an immediate… Continue reading Treasuring the treasures: preservation through packing
At the start of our project work in June, project conservators Lynne Humphries and Emma Norris delivered a training session for our team of volunteers and all staff involved in the project. To begin, we discussed the nature of the objects we’re dealing with: carved stone with applied decoration in the form of paint, gilding and… Continue reading Don’t drop it!: conservation training